TWO historic ships are laid up in Greenock together for the first time ever while they are fitted out for the forthcoming sailing season.
The world's last sea-going paddle steamer Waverley and classic cruise ship Balmoral are currently side by side in the Garvel dry dock for work.
This year, the ships are celebrating 200 years of commercial steam navigation, with the anniversary of Henry Bell's Comet which was built in Port Glasgow.
Both vessels are owned and operated by Waverley Excursions Ltd.
Paddle steamer Waverley was built on the River Clyde in 1947.
In 2003, a major restoration project was completed, returning the ship to the original 1940s style in which she was built.
The Paddle Steamer Preservation Society bought the 693 tonne ship in 1974 for �1 to preserve it for the future.
Waverley's sister ship Balmoral was built in 1949 in Southampton and has had many roles in life including a car ferry and a restaurant.