RIVER Clyde Homes is being investigated by a government safety watchdog over a botched fitting of a gas flue.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) was called in after residents feared there had been a carbon monoxide leak into a Port Glasgow home during modernisation work.

It is believed a new gas flue was incorrectly fitted to a home in the town’s Oronsay Avenue.

Bosses at HSE refuse to say if anyone was placed in danger, but the body is understood to have billed RCH around £2,000 for the investigation.

Gary Wilson, the housing association’s executive director of property, confirmed a mistake had been made over the flue fitting, but insisted there was no carbon monoxide leak.

Mr Wilson said: “A matter involving an incorrect gas flue fitting was voluntarily reported to the HSE by River Clyde Homes.

“We can confirm that the matter did not involve a carbon monoxide leak.”

Mr Wilson said River Clyde Homes carried out a thorough internal investigation into what had happened and had tightened up its procedures.

He added: “The HSE also undertook a review, the cost of which was billed to River Clyde Homes, as is standard practice.

“In consultation with the HSE, we have implemented more robust procedures and training for all relevant staff to ensure this does not happen again.”

Officials at the Health and Safety Executive say they cannot release any further information because their probe is still not complete.

A spokeswoman said: “The investigation into this incident is currently ongoing, therefore we are unable to comment further at this time.”