B&Q signs up to retail park

Published: 9 Sep 2011 13:0030 comments

DIY giant B&Q has signed up to Port Glasgow's new retail park.

The top retailer is the first firm to announce its arrival at the site next to the Tesco Extra store and will create 75 jobs.

The news was unveiled by property firm Gallagher Developments at a consultation in Port Glasgow Library.

Bosses from B&Q spoke exclusively to the Telegraph to say they are delighted to be coming to Inverclyde.

Matthew Webster, their development chief, said: "We will be creating 75 full and part-time positions at all levels from experts, sales assistants and up to management level, and we are looking to recruit locally.

"We are very pleased to come to Port Glasgow - there is a strategic gap in our market with the nearest stores just now in Paisley and Great Western Road in Glasgow."

The site of the new retail park, above, covers 26,000 square metres and it boasts room for 13 non-food shops.

Work is ready to start in a year's time and the shopping centre is expected to be up and running by 2013.

The plans will be on display again today, until 5pm, at Port Glasgow Library.

Jump to first paragraph.

Comments

Have your say - post a comment on this article

Registered users log in here
If you are registered with us, you can login here. If you are not registered, please do so now. Once logged in you wont have to complete word verification each time you post.

• askelvis
    470 posts
    Sep 9, 13:32

Great news the port is the new gourock

Recommend?   Yes 15     No 13

• joanmcdade
    33 posts
    Sep 9, 13:39

This is good news for all those Inverclyde shoppers who have had to go out of Inverclyde for a lot of shopping. It would be very good if we could also get a Next, Matalan, TK Maxx, River Island and so on so that more money was spent in the local area supporting local jobs.

Recommend?   Yes 35     No 4

Excellent news!

No need to go to homebase anymore and get charged 3 times the rrp price

Recommend?   Yes 22     No 1

• Tiddles
    1077 posts
    Sep 9, 14:40

Yes Rod, I'm with you on this one. I am fed up having to saunter up to Paisley for things I need. I just hope that the 75 jobs will be PREDOMINATELY full time. If this comes to pass, it can only be good for Inverclyde and especially the Port.

Recommend?   Yes 16     No 1

• 8i6daddy
    98 posts
    Sep 9, 15:22

I agree with Rod2mc... good to have an alternative to homebase.. but the only downside Im thinking that homebase might end up shutting down... theyve already got B&M on their doorstep, now a major competitor coming... do we really need another empty unit in greenock?

Recommend?   Yes 8     No 2

• Weapon
    102 posts
    Sep 9, 16:57

Wonderful news!

(I really thought Tids had gone for good!)

I'm also rather chuffed about the B&Q announcement....

Recommend?   Yes 7     No 1

• alza40
    3 posts
    Sep 9, 17:31

Homebase are their own worst enemy. Never have anything you're looking for and if they do it's twice the price of anywhere else.

Recommend?   Yes 7     No 0

• Tiddles
    1077 posts
    Sep 9, 18:27

Thanks Weap, it's nice to be missed!

Recommend?   Yes 6     No 1

• jimmackie
    14 posts
    Sep 9, 18:52

great news for inverclyde most positive thing in years and they employ older generation to, well done the local council .

Recommend?   Yes 4     No 4

• WeeJockW
    676 posts
    Sep 9, 18:54

B&Q is a good start, let's hope that the others that follow offer the residents a good choice of products and services. I think Greenock has enough in the way of poundshops, charity shops and pawn shops for the whole of Inverclyde.

Recommend?   Yes 12     No 2

• Nexus1974
    4 posts
    Sep 9, 19:17

Hopefully there is a PC World as well in addition to B&Q

Recommend?   Yes 5     No 1

• Tiddles
    1077 posts
    Sep 9, 20:14

Oh behave Nexus, why in heaven's name would we want that? Jimmackie, you behave yourself too, what have the local council to do with this? It's a purely commercial enterprise, or is there there something you know that we don't????????? (goes off singing, "Oh you've gotta pick a pocket or two" from Oliver by the late Lionel Bart).

Recommend?   Yes 7     No 2

• wallace1297
    117 posts
    Sep 9, 21:14

Great news and we must hope others follow B & Q. I also hope that the estimated 500 jobs created go to local people.

Recommend?   Yes 7     No 0

• yvoynix
    115 posts
    Sep 9, 21:42

75 jobs, not 500! But good news all the same!

Recommend?   Yes 5     No 0

• Tiddles
    1077 posts
    Sep 9, 21:47

Wally, oh please may I call call you so? I don't think the figure of 500 has been suggested but your suggestion of it has filled me with much enthusiasm. For all your possible inaccuracy, I hope you are right and Inverclyde will see many more job opportunities from 500 and beyond.

Recommend?   Yes 7     No 0

• Tiddles
    1077 posts
    Sep 9, 21:55

You know Jock, whenever I take off upon the florid wings of my colourful prose, your solid comments drop in and all I can see are the wise words of a wee squaddie medic with a steel back bone who just simply says what needs to be said. I truly salute you! I am the jester to the court of the man.

Recommend?   Yes 8     No 1

• Expatriot
    121 posts
    Sep 9, 22:38

Good news not only for Port Glasgow, but the area as a whole. I have no feelings re Homebase whatsoever, competition is the name of the game. And for once the people of the Port, Kilmacolm and beyond will not have to endure the traffic chaos, roundabouts and traffic lights which pollute Greenock when they want to nip down for a tin of paint! More development at the Port Glasgow site will thankfully spell the end for the carbunkle that is the Oak Mall.

Recommend?   Yes 3     No 1

• skozra
    45 posts
    Sep 10, 02:08

Good stuff - I like B&Q :)

Recommend?   Yes 3     No 0

• Annanana
    2 posts
    Sep 10, 18:05

Bad news for Duncans Wallpaper shop in Port Glasgow , another small business will close in Port Glasgow !

Recommend?   Yes 3     No 3

• Tiddles
    1077 posts
    Sep 11, 11:56

You're quite right Annanana, it's easy to overlook the downside. I doubt if they can even try to compete but you never know. To be honest, I'd never buy wallcoverings from B&Q, the serial numbers in my experience don't tie up and you get paper that doesn't match and you end up with unpleasant arguments.

Recommend?   Yes 3     No 0

• gizzmo
    24 posts
    Sep 11, 15:31

GOOD NEWS FOR THE LOCAL AREA PG IN PARTICULAR timing is just great after homebase shooting themselves in the foot by imposing a car parking charge if you dont spend all your money in 90 minutes sometimes we could be that long just waiting at the checkout.............

Recommend?   Yes 1     No 0

• adze96
    3 posts
    Sep 11, 18:27

wee jock. "I think Greenock has enough in the way of poundshops, charity shops and pawn shops for the whole of Inverclyde". you forgot about mobile shops too...

it would be good to see a job boom in inverclyde for a change instead of the drudgery of job hunting for no jobs

Recommend?   Yes 1     No 0

• WeeJockW
    676 posts
    Sep 11, 18:29

Thank you for your kind words Tidds, much appreciated.

Recommend?   Yes 3     No 0

• johnsteele
    31 posts
    Sep 11, 21:29

I like to shop at my local ironmongers and buy everything I can, but if he can't order it for me then I have to go to conbase and pay a lot because they know I need it, oh wait! isn't it sainburys that own homebase and wikes!!! Im not saying b and q is much better but at least it will give some homebase workers a new job? and b and q do cheap measuring tapes to sum it all up!

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 0

• WeeJockW
    676 posts
    Sep 12, 01:39

Anything that brings FULL time jobs to the area has to be good, however, I feel that the majority of the jobs will end up being part time and at the lower end of the minimum wage.

What we also have to remember about these jobs is the fact that they are not apprenticeships, something which our young people need badly.

Instead of retail and call centres, Inverclyde needs industry, an employer who will bring proper apprenticeships to the area, this area has a large skill base but, as each year passes those skills are being lost.

Inverclyde has suffered over the years and we have the legacy to prove it, deprivation, slums and drugs. A lost generation or a generation neglected, we owe it to our kids to give them a chance in life.

It's time to take the message to our elected representatives as well as that QUANGO Riverside Inverclyde. We want real jobs with real prospects, not only for ourselves but for our kids and the future generations of this area.

We've had the Arab Spring, let next year be the Inverclyde Spring, speak out for jobs and make your voices heard.

Recommend?   Yes 7     No 1

• scotland0chick
    4 posts
    Sep 13, 12:38

I'm only 16 and I can assure you that the jobs will go to people with "experience". I've looked and looked for a job EVERYWHERE...Trawling the internet for hours on end, running about the town asking, and unless you are over 18, can drive and have experience, nobody's interested!

Recommend?   Yes 2     No 0

• WeeJockW
    676 posts
    Sep 14, 01:25

@scotland0chick I wish I could offer you some wise words of wisdom, but unfortunately I cant. All I can say is never give up, no matter how frustrated you feel keep on trying. I know you've probably heard that before and will continue to hear it, but none the less in today's climate you have to keep on going.

Apart from looking at the job market, have you considered further education/college courses. It might not be what your looking for, but, could in the long run lead to employment.

It breaks my heart to see youngsters trying their best to get on in life, only to be knocked back at every step. Inverclyde council are looking to employ young people, try giving their Human resources a ring, you never know.

In the meantime I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Recommend?   Yes 5     No 0

• scotland0chick
    4 posts
    Sep 14, 20:04

I am currently studying HNC healthcare at James Watt! You'd think going to Columba 1400, and gaining 2 Princess Diana Awards plus culminating in a speech with former First Minister Jack McConnell would put me on the job ladder...but sadly not! I have experience in leadership and working as a team, but it falls upon deaf ears! Oh well! Perseverance appears to be the name of the game these days..

Recommend?   Yes 3     No 0