GREENOCK boss Martin Campbell says tomorrow’s match at Thorniewood could be a defining moment in his club’s season.

The Uddingston men are at the foot of the league table, but have a few games in hand over Greenock as they bid to escape the bottom four relegation zone.

But Campbell’s troops head to Lanarkshire on the back of an excellent coupon-busting 1-0 win at Shettleston last Saturday, and the manager wants no slip-up in what, on paper at least, is a less formidable challenge.

He said: “We may be a few places and a few points above the drop zone, but it’s still looking very tight, and so another win tomorrow would certainly give us some breathing space.

“But Thorniewood are fighting for their lives, so I expect another very difficult game, especially as their park is not the best of surfaces and will probably be very bobbly with the dry weather we have been having recently.” Campbell says the squad have had a smile on their faces since that win at Shettleston, and a change in this week’s normal training routine has added to the feel-good factor.

The regular Wednesday session was replaced by an altogether more relaxing evening at Gleddoch House in Langbank, where the squad enjoyed the sauna, swim and steam-room facilities.

However a few unfortunate players had to miss out in favour of further work with the physio in a bid to regain match fitness.

They included Allan Docherty, probably ruled out again for Saturday with a troublesome knee injury, and long-term injury victim Sean Doherty, who is almost ready to return to competing for a place on the team-line.

Meanwhile, Tam McQuilken remains doubtful, as does David McGarrigle, who limped off at Shettleston last week with ligament damage. And it will be a case of a late decision on the fitness of Jamie Cunning, with a place on the bench the most likely outcome at the moment.

Greenock will undoubtedly be looking for a far better first half than when the sides last met, at Ravenscraig in November. A rampant Thorniewood went in at the break 3-0 ahead, with Greenock down to 10 men following Martin Orr’s red card.

But two goals from Allan Docherty saw a rejuvenated Greenock pull it back to 3-2 within 15 minutes of the restart.

However, Kevin McKay’s dismissal for two bookings in the space of a minute left nine-man Greenock just too big a mountain to climb to snatch a point.

Looking slightly ahead, Greenock have no midweek fixture next week, with their next match after tomorrow being another encounter against Shettleston, this time at Ravenscraig, a week on Saturday.

And they will be back in cup action the following Saturday, following this week’s draw for the third round of the West of Scotland Cup.

A home tie against Central First Division Benburb awaits, with the winners heading to either Beith or Kilwinning Rangers in the quarter-finals.

Kick-off at Robertson Park, Uddingston, tomorrow is at 2pm.

Greenock Juniors are sponsored by SAVEHEAT, and the Lighthouse Bar.