GREENOCK lost the chance to ease their relegation worries with this defeat at Ravenscraig last night.

Although it would still take a sequence of unexpected results elsewhere over the next week for the Ravenscraig men to take the drop, last night’s victory for relegation-threatened Largs at title-chasing Pollok shows what can happen in football.

After a completely uneventful first half, this match burst into life when Yoker took the lead two minutes into the second period, when Reece Pearson prodded home a cross from Greg Maitland.

But Greenock levelled on 62 minutes, with a long ball causing confusion in the Yoker defence, allowing Kenny Munro to nip in and slot home from just inside the box.

The visitors were then given a golden chance to regain the lead when Ryan Begley brought down David Crerand, and referee David Dunne pointed to the spot.

However, home keeper Ryan McWilliams saved Maitland’s penalty kick.

From the resultant corner, though, Yoker centre-half John Harvey was left in acres of space for a simple header into the net.

Greenock tried to battle back, and Jamie Cunning had a header cleared off the line by Pearson.

But Yoker clinched the three points on 79 minutes, when a cross was only half-cleared by the Greenock defence and the impressive Maitland capped an eventful match for him by pouncing on the loose ball and driving into the net.

The visitors then suffered two red cards, with Gary Bissland the first to go after picking up a second booking with seven minutes remaining.

And on the 90th minute Ryan Frew also saw red, for what referee Dunne said was raising his hands to an opponent, although it did seem a little harsh.

Greenock snatched what was no more than a consolation goal deep into stoppage time when sub Allan Docherty, probably playing his last game of the season before his suspension kicks in tomorrow, bulleted a header into the net.

But now it’s all eyes on Saturday’s fixtures — Greenock are not in action, but results from the other games will hopefully confirm their safety in the league.

Manager Martin Campbell said: “I can’t believe we are now looking over our shoulder at other teams before we know if we are safe.

“It shouldn’t have got to this stage, and tonight’s defeat was another sore one, as we looked quite comfortable during the first half.” Greenock: McWilliams, Orr (Stanton 45), Cunning, McLaughlin, Begley, Murray, Scott (Doherty 84), T. Docherty, Brown, Craig (A. Docherty 56), Munro. Subs not used: Gillan, McQuilkin.

Greenock Juniors are sponsored by SAVEHEAT, and the Lighthouse Bar. Additional sponsorship for last night’s game was provided by the Lighthouse Bar.