Ton star could be set to leave Cappielow
Published: 16 May 2013 11:300 comments
PETER MacDonald looks set to reject Morton's contract offer to sign with recently relegated SPL side Dundee, Allan Moore has confirmed.
Last season's top scorer MacDonald, who netted 15 goals in all competitions despite only returning to action on 8 December after a long-term injury lay-off, was one of nine players offered new deals.
However, the Dark Blues have also approached the 32-year-old with a view to him plying his trade at Dens Park next term.
Ton boss Moore is aware of their offer and admits he expects MacDonald to leave Cappielow after two seasons in each of which he topped the club's scoring charts, netting 30 goals in 66 appearances.
Moore told the Tele: "Peaso's been offered a really good deal with Dundee and has only got a few bits and bobs to agree with them I think. There's maybe the possibility of it going into two years. I don't think he's signed on the dotted line yet but he's definitely considering it and it looks as if he might be going, yes.
"He's not given me a definite answer that he's not signing with us, but at this moment in time it looks as if he's going to Dundee.
"We offered a contract to him, but, in fairness, if Dundee offer a contract to players they'll probably outbid what anyone else in this division can offer, even though players might have to travel.
"Peaso gave me a courtesy call to let me know that they've offered him a deal before I heard it anywhere else, and I appreciated that.
"He's at an age where he has to look after himself.
"If he does move on then that's just football.
"We have to look elsewhere and we turn our attention to other targets and try and bring someone else in." Moore is still waiting to hear back from Willie Dyer, Craig Reid and Thomas O'Ware but spoke with full-back Scott Taggart this week.
He added: "I spoke to Scott
yesterday, and he's still undecided about what he wants to do. We've offered him a decent package and it's up to him to make that decision.
"I've told all the boys that went out of contract yesterday that I've offered what we can offer and it's up to them if they want to accept it or not.
"They can hang off and try and get something elsewhere, but if someone else pops up in the position they play, I rate him and he's willing to take the money I've offered then they shouldn't be surprised if I give them a call saying the money isn't there to sign them any more.
"I'll leave it open, I won't set a deadline for them to come back to me, and we'll have to just wait and see.
"That's the gamble they take."