In the week that the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic is marked right around the globe, the Tele's Brian Hossack reports on the fascinating Inverclyde links unearthed with the awful disaster - which shed light on the tragic fate of one local man and the story of two others who narrowly escaped the disaster

SHE was the luxury liner deemed 'unsinkable' by her proud owners.

But 100 years ago, the mighty Titanic sank as it embarked on its ill-fated maiden voyage, claiming the lives of 1,514 people.

The disaster took victims from all classes and cultures, with just 705 souls living to tell the tale.

Many Scots perished on the liner, while others were involved in the rescue mission to save survivors from the icy waters.

The magnitude of the disaster made headlines across the world and on 16 April 1912, the Greenock Telegraph carried the simple headline 'Titanic sinks in mid-ocean' as news of the tragedy slowly filtered back across the Atlantic to Inverclyde.

Historical documents indicate that at least five people with a local connection were involved, with their stories laid down alongside the others recounting remarkable tales of survival, bravery and heroism.

They also highlight how others were lucky to escape the catastrophe - with two of them Greenock men who were set to crew the ship.

They narrowly escaped the disaster, having sailed to Southampton onboard the doomed liner.

John Craig, 29, and Robert Woodmey, 41, left the ship at the English port before it set off on its fateful voyage.

Researchers say that both men were born in the town and worked as firemen and stokers for owners White Star on the ship before being stood down before it departed for America.

Sadly, others were not so fortunate.

George Alexander Chisnall was a 35-year-old married man who lost his life in the disaster.

Although last living in Hampshire in England, the boilermaker was born in Greenock and worked in local yards before taking a position on Titanic among the engine crew.

George had served his apprenticeship with Napier Brothers in Glasgow and on completion of his apprenticeship, he joined White Star as boilermaker on board the Canopic.

Archive material says that after 12 months at sea he went ashore and obtained employment with the Fairfield Shipbuilding Co. and then Caird & Co in Greenock. After a period with Elder Dempster & Co, he returned to White Star in May 1908 as boilermaker on board the Majestic.

His body was recovered after the sinking of Titanic and he was buried at sea, leaving behind a wife and two children.

Reports from the time also reveal how two people from Greenock were aboard The Californian, the ship close to the Titanic when it sank.

Louis Carswell, 45, a quartermaster, and William Mahon, a chief engineer, had both been on The Californian on the night of the 'unsinkable' liner was lost.

Experts believed that The Californian could have saved many of the lives lost if going to aid the stricken vessel and stories were written at the time saying although the vessel had been close enough to see Titanic's lights and distress rockets, it sailed onward to Boston.

One hundred years ago the Telegraph's pages carried stories for several weeks after the Titanic's sinking, as inquiries were carried out and news filtered back about locals.

The editions also reported stories about a relief fund which was set up by the-then town corporation, offering the people of Inverclyde the chance to contribute donations towards the international aid movement.

Now, 100 years on, Titanic is making headlines news once again, all over the globe, as all victims of the tragedy are remembered.