MORTON teenager Cammy O’Neil marked his top-team bow by scoring the winning goal in today’s Petrofac Training Cup tie against Spartans.

Ton welcomed the Lowland League champions to Cappielow as they returned to action following the summer break.

Manager Jim Duffy, who was taking charge of his first competitive fixture, had something of a selection headache due to injury and suspension.

Watching from the stand were injured trio Fouad Bachirou, Conor Pepper, and Stefan McCluskey, and they were joined by the suspended Sean Crighton.

Centre-half Crighton, missing due to a ban carried over from his time at Elgin, was replaced at the heart of the back four by Thomas O’Ware.

O’Ware had been playing in midfield of late and his absence saw Joe McKee moved inside, with 17-year-old O'Neil handed a surprise start in his place at right midfield.

And it was the former Barrhead Boys’ Club player who gave Ton the lead after 27 minutes by coolly dinking the ball over Spartans keeper Kevin Swain to finish off a sparkling move.

However, the celebrations had barely died down when the hosts suffered a severe setback in the form of another injury.

Skipper Andy Barrowman it was who pulled up clutching his hamstring and had to be replaced.

In an unconventional move, Duffy introduced Jordan Allan, reshuffled his defence and sent O’Ware up front to add physical presence to his frontline.

This inexperienced Ton team were good value for their lead at the break but allowed their visitors to get a foothold in the game in the second half.

Michael Herd and Keith McLeod both passed up reasonable opportunities as Spartans threatened to equalise.

Although they made heavy weather of it, the Cappielow club held on for a relatively straightforward win that achieved the main objective: claiming a place in the next round.

Morton (4-4-1-1): Gaston; Kilday, O’Ware, Milojevic, Lamie; O’Neil (Stevenson, 83), McKee, Miller, Russell; McNeil (Scullion, 78); Barrowman ©(Allan, 29).

Subs not used: Hands, Knight, Caraux (gk).

Booked: Miller (79).

Spartans (4-5-1): Swain; O’Donnell, Bruce, Sivewright, Cennerazzo; Beesley, Herd, Mushin, Stevenson, Bremner; Henretty.

Subs not used: Atkinson, Hunter, Gilpin [Trialist] (gk).

Attendance: 928 Referee: Gavin Ross.