A PROBE into the accident which led to a Greenock firefighter being paralysed is still ongoing - almost two years after the incident.

Andy Adams suffered life-changing injuries after a wall collapsed on him while he tackled a deliberate blaze at the former Larkfield Masonic Association hall in Greenock in August 2016.

Nearly two years on and fire chiefs say they are still trying to establish the facts and circumstances surrounding the incident.

A spokeswoman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: "This was a very serious incident, giving rise to a need to investigate complex facts and circumstances, and meriting the most thorough investigation.

"That investigative process has progressed, and will continue.

"The service also engaged fully with the work of the Health and Safety Executive on this matter."

The spokeswoman also confirmed that there is no approximate timescale on when the investigation will be completed.

Meanwhile officials from the Health & Safety Executive say they are not involved in the investigation.

A spokesperson said: "HSE made initial enquiries into this incident to determine whether it met any of the published criteria which would lead HSE to launch an investigation.

"The enquiries determined that it did not.

"We will not be commenting further on this."

Firefighter Andy spent two weeks in intensive care fighting for his life after the accident.

It was only when doctors woke him up from a medically induced coma that he learned about his injuries.

His long road to recovery has included re-learning basic skills of how to drink, eat and swallow as well as twice daily physical therapy sessions each weekday to improve his upper body strength.

Speaking to the Tele last year, Andy said that he'd often felt like giving up but added that those who have been there to help spurred him on.

The dad-of-two said that he has been deeply touched by the support from the community and was very grateful for the money raised for his rehab fund.

He added: “The most valuable gift to me would be if someone could give information to police leading to the arrest of whoever deliberately started the fire and preventing another firefighter from being seriously injured.”

Police today told the Telegraph that they are no further forward in their investigations into the malicious blaze.

Anyone with information about the fire at the former LMA hall on 25 August 2016 should call the police on 101 and report it.

Members of the public can also pass information to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.