THE murder-bid charge man who repeatedly stabbed two Greenock police officers at his house has been acquitted.

William Taylor, 43, was charged with attempting to kill PCs Kenneth MacKenzie and Laura Sayer when they went to his flat at Gateside Gardens on June 1.

He repeatedly stabbed PC MacKenzie, 43, on the head and body, before he followed Constable Sayer, 39, out of his flat and cornered her before knifing her multiple times on the chest.

As Taylor appeared in the dock at the High Court in Glasgow yesterday his defence QC Gordon Jackson said: “I tender a plea which is, not guilty, on the basis that he was unable - because of a mental disorder - to appreciate the nature or wrongfulness of his conduct.”

Advocate depute Martin Richardson QC said that was acceptable to the Crown and invited the judge to impose a compulsion order, meaning Taylor will be detained and continue to get treatment.

After hearing the narrative of the facts and evidence from consultant psychiatrist Dr Craig Marsh the judge Lord Burns acquitted Taylor and imposed the order.

He said: “I am satisfied that the compulsion order is required.

“It remains for me to commend the police officers here, in particular Constable MacKenzie and Constable Sayer for the action they took.”

Dr Marsh said it was clear Taylor’s mental state was impaired at the time of the incident, which sparked a massive 999 response.

The court heard Taylor has had contact with mental health services since 1986 and was diagnosed with schizophrenia in April this year and prescribed medication.

Two days before the incident with police Taylor’s parents visited him and found unopened medication.

His house was unusually untidy and they were concerned he didn't appear well.

The following day they went to see a member of the community mental health team who agreed to visit him.

The court heard a mental health worker visited and reported to consultant psychiatrist, Rajitha Jayawardena, that she thought he should be admitted to hospital.

It was decided to go to his house on June 1 and 'it was believed he might require to be restrained', so the two officers went with mental health officer Angela Douglas and Dr Jayawardena.

Mr Richardson said: “It took a while for the accused to answer the door.

"On answering the accused asked what they wanted.

“Ms Douglas explained that they wanted to come in and speak to him.

“The accused then attempted to close the door.

"Constable MacKenzie put his foot in the door to prevent this and repeated that they would need to come in and speak to him.”

They followed Taylor in who was 'very disgruntled and angry' and said he was 'not mental'.

Taylor admitted to Dr Jayawardena he had not been taking his medication and was advised in order to restart it, he should come to hospital voluntarily.

He was told if he didn’t he would be detained.

Mr Richardson continued: “At this, the accused jumped up from the sofa, pulled a knife out of the back of his trousers and lunged at Constable MacKenzie.

“He repeatedly struck Constable MacKenzie on the head with his left hand.

“As a result, Constable MacKenzie fell back on to the sofa.”

PC Sayer grabbed Taylor’s arm and tried to pull him away but Taylor broke free and charged at her colleague again.

He pushed him into the kitchen and over the worktop and repeatedly struck him in the chest with the knife.

The court heard Taylor 'appeared frantic', and at this point Constable Sayer used her spray on him but it had no effect.

She left the flat to get Taylor away from her colleague and he followed her to the ground floor and backed her into a wall and stabbed her repeatedly on the chest.

Mr Richardson added that PC MacKenzie heard the commotion and saw Taylor stabbing the officer on the body and ran to pull him off.

He said: “The accused got Constable MacKenzie in a choke hold and started to strike him on the torso with the knife.”

Constable Sayer saw she was bleeding and radioed for help while Taylor walked out on to the street and ignored the instruction to 'drop the knife'.

He passed two neighbours and waved the blade above his head while shouting.

The court heard Taylor removed his t-shirt and appeared 'unusually calm' as he made his way towards a police car that had arrived on the street.

He was intentionally hit by the car in a bid to stop him getting at Constable MacKenzie, rolled on the bonnet and smashed the windscreen.

Taylor got up and tried to stab another officer then ran off towards a garden and was chased.

Eventually other officers caught up with him and restrained him and he was taken to Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley.

Mr Richardson said: “When he arrived he a informed that he was under arrest.

"He was formally cautioned and replied ‘I’m sorry’.”

Constable MacKenzie was later examined and found to have a wound on the left of his neck, a cut on his nose and right jawbone.

PC Sayer had surgery on her left upper arm with a 12cm wound that divided a nerve on her forearm.

She also suffered a cut on her right hand and will be left with a scar on her forearm and long-term altered sensation.

Mr Richardson said: “Both Constable MacKenzie, who had nine years police service, and Constable Sayer, who had only five and a half months service, have remained off work following the incident.

“It is unclear whether either officer will be able to return toward in the immediate future.”