A KNIFEMAN abducted a woman and held her prisoner in his Gourock flat — forcing her to endure a terrifying overnight ordeal.

Charles Stewart carried out a string of assaults on the female and threatened to slash his own face and blame it on her if she fled.

The 27-year-old seized his victim's phone to prevent her from calling for help and even soaked her shoes in his kitchen sink.

Greenock Sheriff Court heard how the hostage situation only ended after Stewart fell asleep and the woman grabbed the phone and sent a desperate text message to her mother.

Prosecutor John Penman said: "The accused took a large kitchen knife and said, 'If you want to leave then I'll slash my own face and tell the polis it was you and you'll get eight years in the jail'.

"The complainer was terrified and she believed that the accused was serious."

The woman was in a relationship with Stewart at the time of the incident in August and had taken exception to a video he'd shot of her and posted on Facebook, the court was told.

She made for the front door of Stewart's flat at Tower Drive but he blocked her path and dragged her into his living room by her hair.

Fiscal depute Mr Penman said: "The accused locked the door behind him and put the keys in his pocket.

"She waited for him to calm down before asking to go to the toilet.

"He allowed her to do so and the complainer walked into the bathroom in a state of fear and burst out crying.

"The accused followed closely behind her, still in possession of the knife.

"He presented the knife at her and said, 'You better shut up'."

The court heard how the woman made attempts to open windows and shout for help but Stewart 'overpowered' her and also locked his veranda doors.

He pulled her by the hair and threw her onto a bed in his living room before sitting on the couch with the knife and a baseball bat beside him.

Stewart and his exhausted victim eventually fell asleep and he was still dozing when she woke the next morning.

Texts sent by the woman to her mum and another person sparked a call to police and officers had to force their way in to the flat.

Mr Penman said: "Officers heard a female crying and asked for entry to ensure the safety of persons within.

"The accused swore in shouting, 'Kick the door in then, I've got a baseball bat!'.

"Police sought urgent assistance and forced entry.

"The complainer was heard screaming that the accused was in possession of a knife and she was being held against her will.

"The accused was handcuffed and police found the complainer crouched on the floor of the hallway in a state of distress.

"A black and red baseball bat was propped against the couch in the living room and there was a black-handled knife on the couch."

Stewart — who is remanded in custody — admitted abducting the woman, placing her in a state of fear and alarm, threatening to self harm and assaulting her.

He committed the offences on August 8 and 9.

Stewart's not guilty plea to a charge of struggling violently with police was accepted by the Crown.

Defence lawyer David Tod reserved his plea in mitigation until a sentencing hearing on December 19.