A FIRST date from a Facebook encounter ended with a Greenock woman being BITTEN on her face.

Stewart Baxter assaulted his victim during a marathon boozing session spanning two days.

The 48-year-old thug was invited to her home in Broomhill Court after the pair exchanged messages on the social network.

He pleaded guilty to biting her on the day that he was due to stand trial for the inexplicable attack.

Prosecutor Claire Rowan told Greenock Sheriff Court how the pair drank to excess and then argued.

The fiscal depute said: "The accused and the complainer had met online via Facebook.

"They decided to meet in person and they began to consume alcohol together in the complainer's home, stayed up most of the night and into the morning drinking.

"At around midday the following day they went to the home of one of the complainer's friends and continued to consume alcohol.

"During the course of the day an argument ensued, however, the particulars of what it was about are not clear.

"The accused lunged at the complainer, grabbed her by her arms and bit her to her left eyebrow."

Miss Rowan added: "Police were contacted and attended and officers noticed a mark on the complainer, however, the skin was not broken."

Baxter committed the assault within a flat at Broomhill Court on August 12.

He had also been charged with grabbing a phone from another man and trying to damage it in a bid to prevent police being called, and with stealing a jacket, but his not guilty pleas to these allegations were accepted by the Crown.

Baxter's lawyer said: "This is his first conviction for assault."

Sheriff Andrew McIntyre told Baxter: "This is an unusual set of circumstances and I want to find out if anything needs to be addressed.

"You met this woman and ended up seizing and biting her."

The sheriff deferred sentence for a background report.

Baxter, whose address was not given in court, is due back in the dock on the matter on January 30.

His victim was facing being held in contempt of court for not attending a previous trial calling, however, the matter was dismissed after it was noted she'd turned up for the fresh diet.