A MAN has been locked up for going 'hunting for people to attack' in Port Glasgow whilst armed with a kitchen blade.

Robert Clarke — who has six previous weapons convictions — had been released on licence from prison just three weeks before 'venomously' vowing vengeance against certain individuals.

Clarke, 39, had turned up at his mother's house on Broadfield Avenue with his face soaked in blood after being set upon and grabbed the knife, threatening to 'do' the people responsible.

Greenock Sheriff Court heard how he had 21 months of a jail sentence for another weapons crime still to serve.

The situation — which even led to police officers being placed in a state of fear and alarm — was made worse because Clarke was intoxicated through taking valium tablets, the court was told.

Prosecutor Lindy Scaife told a previous calling of the case how Clarke's shocked mother had asked him what had happened and he told her he'd been assaulted.

Fiscal depute Ms Scaife said: "He stated that he intended to seek retribution and he picked up a kitchen knife."

Clarke changed clothes and left the house with the knife, sparking a phone call from his mum to his sister who then made an emergency 999 call to police.

Defence lawyer Chris McKenna told a sentencing hearing: "He was assaulted prior to this offence and was in a great deal of pain."

Mr McKenna suggested that Clarke suffers from post traumatic stress disorder following a bereavement and through him being the past victim of 'very serious assaults'.

The solicitor added: "He understands that he is on the borderline of being institutionalised.

"If his issues were to be addressed the risk of him reoffending would be reduced."

Ultimately, Clarke did not attack anyone with the knife on the day of the offences and returned home prior to being taken to Inverclyde Royal Hospital.

However, the court was told that his mood was 'venomous' and that he was shouting, swearing and 'unable to listen to any reason'.

Clarke, of Broadfield Avenue, pleaded guilty to behaving in a threatening or abusive manner, uplifting a knife and threatening to use it against persons whose identities are meantime unknown.

He also admitted placing his mother, police and people at the hospital in states of fear and alarm.

He committed the offences on October 26 last year and has been remanded in custody since then.

Sheriff Derek Hamilton told Clarke: "Custody is the only option available to me."

Clarke was jailed for four months for his latest offence and returned to prison for the 21 months outstanding on his previous sentence.

Sheriff Hamilton ruled that both terms must be consecutive.