A WOMAN with a minor cut to her finger shut down the hospital by setting off its fire alarm after being told she'd have to wait for treatment.

Ainsley Gray called an ambulance to take her to Inverclyde Royal at 5am - despite her injury being 'superficial' - then flew into a temper when categorised as a low priority case.

First offender Gray, 24 — who's been warned she's facing prison — slammed an alert button as she stormed out of A&E, sending the hospital into 'lockdown'.

Prosecutor David Glancy told Greenock Sheriff Court: "There was an ill patient in A&E who was on the verge of being moved for a CT scan and the accused's actions delayed his treatment.

"A nurse saw the accused running across the car park towards Larkfield Road.

"She was well away before the fruits of her pressing of the button were made apparent to her.

"The hospital effectively goes into lockdown whereby all the doors are locked, preventing the movement of staff and patients until the source of the alarm is ascertained, and also whether it is a false alarm."

Sheriff Derek Hamilton told Gray: "I view this as a very serious matter."

Gray, of Poplar Street, Greenock, admitted acting aggressively and setting off the alarm. She'd also been charged with depositing blood on a public counter but her not guilty plea to this was accepted by the Crown.

She committed the offence on October 20 last year.

Fiscal depute Mr Glancy said: "The accused had been taken by ambulance from her home to the hospital with what is described as a 'superficial' laceration to her finger.

"She was a low priority for treatment and was waiting for a couple of hours, and she made it pretty clear to staff that she was not happy.

"She engaged with staff at reception and it was explained to her that there was a queue.

"What she did next was effectively storm out of the hospital, pressing the fire alarm as she exited the sliding doors."

Mr Glancy added: "CCTV footage was reviewed by the police and the accused was visited later in the day.

"She admitted, 'I only pushed the alarm'."

Defence lawyer Aidan Gallagher said: "She was intoxicated on the night in question.

"She is effectively a first offender, but clearly this is a serious matter."

Sheriff Hamilton told Gray: "You might be familiar with the Greenock Telegraph and bad behaviour and nonsense at the hospital is often reported in the Telegraph, and when it affects people who are genuinely ill it often results in a custodial sentence.

"You pushing and alarm that locks all the doors can have horrendous consequences for people."

Sentence has been deferred until February 20 for a background report.