A PORT man was caught keeping heroin in a tub on his stun gun-owning girlfriend's living room floor.

William Milligan also had cannabis resin nearby within the chaotic Greenock flat, which police described as being 'in a state of disarray'.

His partner, Margaret Miller, told officers who turned up with a drugs search warrant that the stun gun was for self-defence.

Milligan, 50, and first offender Miller, 44, have both been spared prison but must each do unpaid work as a direct alternative to custody.

Procurator fiscal Ziad Ul Hassan told the sheriff court: "Margaret Miller appeared at the door and granted the police access to the property, which was in a state of disarray.

"Cannabis resin weighing 22.9 grams was within a plastic box on open display in the living room.

"Diamorphine [heroin] weighing 1.7 grams was in another plastic box on the living room floor."

The court was told that the stun gun was within a cupboard in the hallway, and later forensic testing confirmed that it was operational.

Milligan, of Fore Street in the Port, accepted responsibility for the drugs.

He said he had no knowledge of the stun gun - a prohibited weapon - being there, however, the court heard that he had ordered it via the internet 'by accident'.

His lawyer said: "This whole episode has given him a jolt and he is no longer involved with drugs."

Miller's lawyer Edel McGinty said: "Her position is that Mr Milligan purchased the stun gun online, and she took it and hid it."

Sheriff Andrew McIntyre observed: "She says in the background report that her partner purchased it by accident, but she told the police it was for self-defence."

Miss McGinty responded: "There was a considerable amount of panic after the police arrived."

The solicitor added: "This matter has been a fork in the road for them."

Sheriff McIntyre said: "It is worrying that people buy these things, but to say it was kept for self-defence is all very worrying."

Miller, of Baxter Street in Greenock, and Milligan were caught on May 30 last year.

They must now each complete 125 hours of unpaid work within six months or face jail.