A VULNERABLE woman has told how her Greenock home has been overrun by an infestation of insects.

Catherine Bruce, who has learning difficulties and is registered deaf, says the creatures are now in every room of the town centre property - and has pleaded with housing bosses to step in and help.

The disgruntled River Clyde Homes resident says she has spent a fortune on products to fumigate her home.

She claims housing bosses ahave left her in the lurch.

Catherine said: "I'm so fed up of having these things in my home.

"It has been going on for about four weeks now.

"They started off just in the kitchen.

"My friend found one behind the cooker and since then they've spread from room to room.

"Now they are all over my house.

"They are in the bedroom, which is making me feel ill and unable to sleep.

"I hate the sight of them.

"I've spent a fortune on different powders and products but nothing will take them away."

The Tele reported in 2017 how the Cathcart Street resident found a rat in her property.

Neighbours in the same housing block encountered the same issue.

Ms Bruce, 57, says the latest problem is putting her under real strain.

She told the Tele: "I don't keep well and this is the last thing I need.

"It is really putting me off my food and I need to keep to a special diet for health reasons.

"Sometimes I'm not eating until late at night as I'm scared to make anything in the kitchen.

"River Clyde Homes told me that they couldn't help and it was something I'd need to get rid of myself."

Despite the policy of housing bosses being that infestation issues must be dealt with by the tenant, River Clyde Homes have told the Telegraph that they will contact Ms Bruce to assist her.

Julie Allison, senior improvement manager at RCH, said: “Unless the issue is property-related, for example woodworm, the responsibility of infestation generally lies with the tenant, who may seek assistance from other agencies such as environmental health.

"However, given the current circumstances, Ms Bruce’s housing officer will be in contact to see what help can be offered to solve the problem.”