A PHARMACY in Inverclyde has been linked to a new coronavirus cluster.

M&D Green Pharmacy, which has stores in John Wood Street and Fore Street is today at the centre of an investigation after a spate of new Covid-19 cases were identified.

The news comes after a worker at Amazon's Faulds Park site in Gourock also yesterday tested positive for the virus - leading to colleagues being sent home and a deep clean of the plant.

Council leader Stephen McCabe said the news was 'extremely concerning'.

He told the Telegraph: “This is a wake up call for us all. This is an extremely infectious virus and there can be no complacency.

“It is very concerning. We now need to make sure that contact and tracing works to prevent any further spread."

The Telegraph understands the investigation at the Port pharmacy is centred around an infected delivery driver, who is thought to have brought Covid-19 to the area after making a drop off at the business.

It is believed it will remain closed for at least 72 hours while a full probe is carried out.

Councillor McCabe added: “Everyone must follow the guidelines. It is also important that data regarding positive cases at a local level is made public and available.

“It is disappointing Inverclyde is now back in the Covid-19 spotlight. But we are coming out of the lockdown slower than other countries so this type of thing will sadly happen in pockets across Scotland.”

Inverclyde MSP Stuart McMillan said he had been made aware of the situation last night. He told the Telegraph he has instructed the health board to supply him with an 'immediate update' on the developing situation.

He added: "It is of course deeply concerning.

"Pharmacies provide a vital service in our communities and it is important public confidence to use them is retained.

"An investigation is now underway involving the government and health board and I have asked all relevant authorities to keep me in the loop with their findings."

Meanwhile Amazon said they were providing support for their infected member of staff.

The online giant says the person concerned is now isolating at home in quarantine and that some staff were sent home early yesterday as a deep clean at the site took place - but added that the facility is still fully operational.

A source told the Telegraph that the infected individual was part of the stowing team, who put items on shelves for pickers.

They added that all the inbound staff, people that accept delivery of items for stowing, were sent home, while the area was cleaned.

But some workers were fearful that the steps did not go far enough.

One, who asked not to be named, told the Telegraph: "The problem is that the person who tested roamed about putting items onto steel shelving, so workers feel the whole plant should have been closed down for a deep clean.

"Who knows where this person or others who are now isolating touched? People are concerned that management haven't gone far enough to make sure the whole site is safe."

An Amazon spokesman said: "Since the early days of this situation, we have worked closely with health authorities to proactively respond, ensuring we continue to serve communities while taking care of our associates and we’re following guidelines from health officials about the operations of our buildings.

"We have implemented proactive measures to protect employees including increased cleaning at all facilities and maintaining social distance.”

A spokesperson for NHSGGC said: "A cluster of eight positive COVID-19 cases have been identified in the Greater Glasgow and Clyde area and a thorough investigation is underway.

"Contact tracing of individuals has identified a number of businesses across Greater Glasgow and Clyde, including a pharmacy in Inverclyde, as being linked to the cases.

"An NHSGGC-led Incident Management Team is working with Scottish Government, Health Protection Scotland (HPS) and local environmental health teams to provide advice and support.

"None of the cases are experiencing anything but mild symptoms.

"Close contacts are being advised to self-isolate and other identified contacts are being followed up and given appropriate advice.

"To respect and maintain patient confidentiality no further details will be released at this time."