A GREENOCK man out of jail on licence was captured on CCTV as he tried to murder a teenager in broad daylight on a busy town centre street.

Andrew Sutherland, 29, appeared at the High Court in Glasgow yesterday and admitted attempting to kill Reece Warnock by repeatedly stabbing him on Princes Street in Port Glasgow.

The brutal attack took place on August 27 last year.

Police said at the time that they were hunting two men in connection with the attack, which saw a large part of the Port town centre sealed off.

Prosecutor Owen Mullan told the court that 18-year-old Mr Warnock, who was carrying out a court community payback order in the Port at the time, was followed into the Spar store by Sutherland at around 3pm

He browsed in the store and then walked back out to the Inverclyde Council minivan which was transporting him and others to their work placements, only to come under attack.

The court was told that Mr Warnock later died, in October, after taking ill.

Mr Mullan said: “Reece Warnock appeared oblivious to the fact that the accused was walking after him.

“The accused then seized Reece Warnock by the body and then repeatedly struck him with a knife.

“The CCTV footage shows the accused in possession of a knife and striking Reece Warnock and then kicking him on the body while he was on the ground.

“The accused was captured on CCTV closing over what appears to be a lockback knife.”

Sutherland then got into a taxi with another man and drove away, leaving his victim to get to his feet and enter the Semi Chem store where he collapsed in front of shocked shop workers.

Shocking CCTV footage of the incident was shown in court.

Mr Warnock was rushed to the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley suffering from a liver laceration, collapsed lungs and multiple cuts to his arms.

Mr Mullan said: “His injuries were deemed life-threatening.

"He was discharged from hospital on August 31, 2019.

“He died on October 17, 2019 from a drugs overdose.

"At the time of his death he was living at home with his mother and brother.”

When the murder bid took place Sutherland was out on licence, having been sentenced to five years back in 2016 for assault to danger of life.

He was released in November 2018.

Judge Lord Armstrong yesterday decided to defer sentence on Sutherland until November 25 for a background report and a risk assessment to be compiled.

Sutherland is remanded in custody and he appeared in court via a video link.

Defence counsel John McElroy told the court will give his plea in mitigation when the case calls again.