A MAN who told a woman she was 'lucky' he didn't stab her during a 5am verbal tirade in her home has avoided a further prison sentence.

Mark Derrick is currently locked up for a subsequent knife-carrying rage against the victim, committed whilst he was on bail for the foul-mouthed outburst towards her.

A sheriff has now decided to keep the case under review until next year after Derrick, 29, is released from jail on July 15.

The Telegraph told last year how he shouted, swore and threatened the woman after she'd simply asked him not to put the heartburn medicine Gaviscon into a baby's bottle.

He said to her: "You're lucky the wean is there or I'd stab you."

Derrick also called the woman derogatory names and told her: "You better send me money or your tyres are getting done."

He was jailed in March - having been remanded in custody in January - after a trial heard how he lost his temper when the woman questioned whether he'd walked her dog and grabbed a knife.

The woman, a nurse, told how she made an emergency 999 call from her locked car after after retreating from her home as she feared for her safety.

Derrick is now subject to a three-year non-harassment order not to approach or contact his victim in any way.

His lawyer, Gerry Keenan, told the court: "Plainly the relationship is over and Mr Derrick recognises it is over.

"This tends to suggest that the risk of a recurrence of this type of behaviour has been substantially reduced."

Mr Keenan added: "He knows any breach of the non-harassment order would result in a substantial prison sentence."

Derrick was jailed in 2017 for brandishing a knife and triggering an armed siege by police at his Brae View home after threatening to stab two officers to death.

He stated at the time of the offence that it would be 'just like' the death of hero London terror attack victim PC Keith Palmer at the Houses of Parliament.

Derrick had previously kicked a police officer on the back of his head and spat in the face of his colleague in assaults carried out on Christmas Eve 2016.

Sheriff Joseph Hughes deferred sentence on Derrick until January 5 next year for him to be of good behaviour.

The sheriff has continued consideration of a further non-harassment order, which would be consecutive to the current one, until then.