A VIETNAMESE man who was allowed bail after being arrested in connection with an alleged £1 million cannabis farm in Port Glasgow has gone AWOL.

Prosecutors have been granted an arrest warrant for 40-year-old How Van Hoang after he failed to appear at Greenock Sheriff Court on the indictment matter.

How — who had been locked up on remand since last Christmas — was bailed in June after it was indicated he may be a victim of modern day slavery.

Home Office chiefs issued an interim 'reasonable grounds' decision in his favour but a final 'conclusive grounds' ruling had not been reached.

Defence lawyer Gerry Keenan successfully argued for his client to be released from custody.

Mr Keenan stated at the time: "If it is established that my client is a survivor of modern day slavery then the prosecution dies.

"I make an application for bail as a matter of urgency."

How was released into the care of a Paisley-based organisation called Migrant Help on June 15, but within days he had disappeared.

The court was told that the last confirmed sighting of him was at Oxford Road Station in Manchester at 8.20pm on June 21.

Solicitor Mr Keenan told the latest calling of the cannabis farm case: "I have no explanation as to his non-appearance."

Prosecutor Mark Nicol said: "Police stated that he had not adhered to his [bail] curfew and had not signed on at the police station."

Mr Nicol had continued to oppose How's release on bail in June.

Lawyer Mr Keenan pointed out at the time that How's teenage co-accused — also a Vietnamese national — had been out on bail for several months without a conclusive grounds decision in his case.

How and the teenager were arrested at the former Plaza/Gala bingo hall on Port Glasgow's Brown Street last December.

Community police beat officers on foot patrol stumbled upon the claimed pot farm.

Police estimated the potential value, subject to testing, to be in the region of a million pounds.

Sheriff Michael Higgins granted the Crown's request for a warrant to arrest How.