A GREENOCK teenager who had been facing a total of 14 criminal charges after assaulting a police officer and using his own mother's bank card to steal cash has been spared jail.

Connor Mahon — who was also caught fighting in a town centre street — has a catalogue of other cases currently being prosecuted, including three alleged housebreakings, the sheriff court heard.

Mahon, 19, of Clydeview Road, used his mum's debit card to twice steal money totalling £90 from a cash machine at the RS McColl shop on Inverkip Road.

He was on six separate bail orders when he was spotted on CCTV engaging in a stand-up fight on Cathcart Street.

Defence lawyer Aidan Gallagher said his client had been remanded in custody earlier this year but now 'appears to be sorting himself out'.

Sheriff Joseph Hughes remarked: "For someone who is 19 he has a huge number of outstanding cases."

Solicitor Mr Gallagher said: "He has started a college course.

"An option other than custody could be imposed.

"The other matters may catch up with him over time but that remains to be seen."

Prosecutor Heather Galbraith told the court that Mahon had been offered a fixed fine at the time of the street fight, but he chose to assault a female PC.

Fiscal depute Ms Galbraith said: "The incident was recorded on CCTV and police were alerted by the CCTV operator to the accused engaging in a fight.

"He was offered a fixed penalty at the time but immediately made efforts to evade police at the scene.

"The accused pushed and then kicked a female police officer, causing her to fall backwards."

Mahon's guilty pleas to four of the 14 charges against him were accepted by the Crown.

Solicitor Mr Gallagher said: "He drank too much and should have accepted the initial offer from the police but in his intoxicated state he reacted adversely."

Sheriff Hughes told Mahon: "What worries me most is that from the other cases I have seen, you seem to be getting yourself into all sorts of difficulty but I can only deal with the charges before me today."

Mahon was placed on a six-month electronic tagging order to remain within his home between 7pm and 7am each day.

The order will reduce to that restriction from Thursday to Sunday only four months.

Sheriff Hughes said: "That will give you incentive to behave."

Mahon has also been placed under social work supervision for two years.

Sheriff Hughes told him: "If you continue offending, regardless of your age, you'll be getting to the stage where it will be prison."