A GREENOCK man who was recently honoured with the Rotary's highest accolade for his tireless charity work has died after a long battle with cancer.

Tributes have been paid to Mike Kimpton, a much-loved past president of Greenock Rotary Club, following his death at the age of 83.

His fellow rotarians recently visited him at home to present him with the Paul Harris Fellowship for his commitment to good causes.

For the last 20 years Mike has been at the heart of the local movement, supporting aid campaigns for people all over the world.

Friend Betty McDonald, who is the district governor of the Rotary International district, said: "Mike will be dearly missed by us all.

"He really was one of life's givers.

"He was a lovely man and so committed to the Rotary.

"Sadly in recent months his health had started to deteriorate especially since the death of his wife Sandra.

"We arranged to go to his house to present him with his Paul Harris Fellowship award for his service to Rotary International.

"Mike was a real gentleman and was always involved in all our events."

I.T expert and businessman Mike moved to the area from Barnsley to work on a contract with Scott Lithgow.

He met and married his late wife Sandra, who passed away last November after moving to Greenock.

A devoted family man, he is survived by two sons, Chris and Simon, from his first marriage to Heather, and grandchildren Ruairi and Teigan

In the last weeks of his life his son Chris took it in turns to travel north with Mike's sister Joy to care for him at his home in Finnart Street.

After joining the rotary club after his retirement Mike played a full role in the club including serving as president and assistant governor.

On top of this he was the IT adviser, club webmaster, social media leader, events photographer and a volunteer at the Rotary's Scottish Schools Indoor Athletics Championships.

He took a key role in many events, including Greenock Rotary Club's own antiques roadshow.

A keen photographer, Mike was also a regular contributor member to the Tele's camera club.

He died on April 30, surrounded by his family, at Balclutha Court care home.

His funeral will take place today, Thursday May 12 at 10am, in Greenock Town Hall, thereafter to Knocknairshill Cemetery.