THIS week’s look into the Greenock Telegraph archives takes us back 16 years – when a Gourock man told how he survived a brain haemorrhage that made him lose all concept of time.

Dave Leonard, then 44, was left with brain damage after a blood vessel burst in his brain.

He was left unable to order time — and he had to carry clocks with him everywhere.

Dave’s medical condition was so rare that it had no name and, as far as he knew, the only other person to have suffered something similar was a man in Peru during the 1940s.

LAST WEEK'S FLASHBACK: Young footballer taken to hospital after head blow

Dave had been made the subject of top-level research by leading neuropsychologists who were hoping to learn more about how the brain functions.

Dave suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage at his home the morning he was due to go into hospital for an operation on his shoulder.

Dave underwent brain surgery at the Southern General Hospital which saved his life but was unable to prevent permanent brain damage.

Medics discovered his unique condition following numerous tests and interviews.

Greenock Telegraph:

Meanwhile, tartan army troops from Inverclyde suffered disappointment as Scotland slumped to defeat in Georgia.

They packed into The Old Bank Bar in William Street and other pubs in Greenock town centre hoping to see Alex McLeish’s men take another step towards Euro 2008 qualification — but a demoralising 2-0 defeat left them drowning their sorrows.

Scotland were left with the dauting task of defeating world champions Italy at Hampden the following month to make it through to the finals, due to be held in Austria and Switzerland.

Greenock Telegraph:

Elsewhere, a state-of-the-art fire engine was on standby for the first time in Greenock to deal with emergencies.

The new aerial rescue unit allowed firefighters to help road traffic victims and carry out high-rise rescues using the same appliance.

It was only the third engine of its kind in Scotland.

The engine, which cost £440,000 without equipment, replaced Greenock’s old hydraulic platform.

Greenock Telegraph:

In other news, the artistic talents of Port Glasgow people had been shown off at an exhibition.

The 40th annual Port Glasgow Civic Art Exhibition was launched at the town hall and the Provost was there to congratulate the young artists honoured with prizes.

Provost Michael McCormick opened the exhibition and Port Glasgow artist John Boyd and his wife, Jane, were there to hand out the gongs.

The exhibition was made up of paintings and crafts by people of all ages and the younger artists receive prizes.

Greenock Telegraph:

In sport, Clyde frontman Dougie Imrie had told the Telegraph he didn’t get the chance to hear Morton’s transfer window offers for him — because the Bully Wee chiefs had rejected all comers.

Now the player, who would of course later become a Ton player and manager, was set to line up against the Cappielow side, instead of for them, when the two teams meet at Broadwood in their upcoming fixture.

Greenock Telegraph:

When asked what his response would’ve been had he been allowed to speak to Ton, he said: “I like Morton, they play good football, but I’d like to think I’m capable of playing higher than First Division level.

“We’ll wait and see what happens in January when the transfer window opens again.”

Despite the interest from Cappielow, it would be Inverness Caledonian Thistle that secured Imrie’s signature the following January.

However, the former Lanark United player would eventually link up with the Ton in 2013 after spells at Hamilton and St Mirren.