A PORT Glasgow mum has fired a warning to parents over the dangers of 'toxic' slushies after her toddler fell unconscious shortly after taking an iced drink.

Victoria Anderson shared her 'horrible experience' in the hope of raising awareness of the possible side effects of glycerol toxicity - after her three-year-old son was rushed to hospital with the condition.

Mum-of-five Victoria was out shopping with two of her children earlier this month when young Angus asked for the raspberry-flavoured frozen drink from a local corner shop.

The 29-year-old mother ended up spending the night at Glasgow Children's Hospital after Angus suddenly fell ill and required urgent medical attention.

Around half an hour after consuming the slushy, Angus' body went 'limp and stone cold', leaving Victoria fearing for his life.

Hospital staff later told Victoria that the slushy had caused glycerol toxicity - which left Angus in a 'drunk-like' state.

According to the Food Standards Agency (FSA), which issued new guidance on the drinks last year, glycerol intoxication can cause shock, hypoglycaemia and loss of consciousness if several of the products are drunk by a child in a short space of time.

Glycerol acts as a substitute for sugar to create the slush effect and the FSA now recommends that glycerol-based slushies should not be sold to children four years of age and under.

In a social media post publicly shared online by Victoria, she said: "On January 4, our wee Angus got rushed to hospital and the doctors told us it could potentially have been caused by the slush puppy he had earlier that day.

"I wanted to raise awareness of the possible side effects of glycerol toxicity caused by slush puppies.

"In children under four-years-old, side effects similar to a drunk adult can occur and this is what happened to Angus.

"He took a seizure and his blood sugars were dangerously low, his heart rate was irregular and as a result, he spent the night in hospital.

"I don’t want to scare anyone but this was a horrible experience for us all and I just wanted to make people aware of what can happen from drinking these.

"Thankfully Angus is home now and happy and healthy."

Speaking to The Sun newspaper, Victoria said: "Angus had never had a slushy before. This was his first time. His brothers had had them in summer as a treat before.

"After drinking the slushy, we went into another shop and Angus kept saying he wanted to go home. He moaned again and I said 'we're going home now, just another couple of minutes'.

"We walked around the shop a bit more and as I turned around I could hear him moaning again.

"I thought he'd thrown himself on the floor having a temper tantrum, but when I looked his eyes were at the back of his head and he was having a seizure. He went limp as anything.

"I started screaming 'somebody get me an ambulance'. I thought I'd lost him. His body went stone cold."

She is now urging authorities to introduce a ban on slushies served to children after the worrying incident.

Victoria said: "I think slushies should be banned altogether or at the very least there needs to be a warning sign for under-fours. But this could potentially happen to any kid of any age.

"I'll never buy slushies again. You just don't know what's in these drinks. I just want to make as many mums aware as possible of what can happen buying these drinks."