THIS week’s look back at the Telegraph archives takes us back 16 years, when £180 million plans to redevelop James Watt Dock were unveiled by regeneration agency Riverside Inverclyde.

The project included plans for rented accommodation, private housing, shops and leisure facilities.

It was also announced that the fire-ravaged sugar sheds would be saved, with work to make the buildings wind and watertight due to take 60 weeks.

At the time, Riverside Inverclyde was pushing forward with several other harbour developments – including projects at Victoria and East India.

Greenock Telegraph:

Riverside Inverclyde chief executive Bill Nicol said: “James Watt Dock is the jewel in the crown of our seven waterfront developments and we are very excited about it.”

In other news, shipping on the Clyde looked set to come to a standstill for two days due to strike action.

Eight pilots, who were tasked with providing safe passage for ships along the length of the river, voted in favour of striking over pay and working conditions, Fears were raised that the action could prevent container vessels and cruise ships from docking or departing from Greenock.

Around 30 Greenock coastguards were also due to strike in a dispute over pay later that month.

Elsewhere, a Greenock man who was called up during the Second World War received a veterans’ badge 60 years after he was almost killed in a mining accident.

Greenock Telegraph:

Archie Hoey, 82, was one of 48,000 young men recruited between 1943 and 1948.

The group, named Bevin Boys after wartime minister Ernest Bevin, were conscripted to meet the demand for fuel during the conflict.

Mr Hoey was sent to work in a mine in England, where he was struck by a coal cart in 1947.

He said: “I was hit by a coal tub and suffered a fractured pelvis, among other injuries, and spent three months in hospital near Sedgefield.

“I couldn’t work for about a year after that.”

Mr Hoey was due to attend an official ceremony with his fellow Bevin Boys the following month.

Meanwhile, a Greenock man celebrated his 21st birthday in style thanks to the kindness of regulars at his local pub.

Craig Hepburn, who had severe learning difficulties, marked the milestone by taking a limo ride to Glasgow with his family on a trip to see popular musical Mamma Mia.

Greenock Telegraph:

Customers at the Burns Lounge in Braeside had previously thrown a party for Craig, with owner Diane Rebecchi handing over an envelope with £100 and four tickets to the show inside.

Craig’s mum Elaine said: “We were overwhelmed at the generosity of the customers and Diane. Everyone in the pub loves Craig.

“He likes music and gets everyone up dancing. It was a great party and the pub was mobbed with people.”

Diane added: “Craig is a lovely boy and he and his mum and dad are part of the community.

“He’s been coming into the pub since he was 18 and we wanted to do something special for him.”

In sport, the battle for First Division salvation looked set to be a two-horse race, according to Morton’s Stewart Greacen.

Greenock Telegraph:

The centre-back told the Tele he saw eighth-placed Clyde as the side’s only rivals as the season went down to the wire.

He said: “Livi look to be safe after winning on Tuesday.

“To be honest, it seemed like ourselves and Clyde would be fighting it out.

“Both teams have a difficult run-in, but we have been playing with a lot of confidence recently.”

Morton and Clyde went on to finish the season with 37 points each – with the Greenock side nicking eighth place and avoiding the play-offs on goal difference.