A BOGUS workman has been ordered to repay a Port Glasgow homeowner thousands of pounds after taking the money and failing to complete a roofing job.

William Watt received £2,700 from a customer almost three years ago and claimed he would carry out a repair at the man's property.

However, 41-year-old Watt never returned to do the work and kept the cash for himself.

He pleaded guilty to the theft offence and has been sentenced at Greenock Sheriff Court.

The court heard from a prosecutor that the victim noticed a leak within his bedroom in October 2021 which caused damage to the ceiling.

The fiscal depute said: "As such, he contacted the accused to survey the damage.

READ MORE: Army veteran who uses alcohol as 'coping mechanism' sentenced for drink driving

"The accused carried out a minor repair on the roof and quoted a fee to carry out a full repair.

"The witness sent the accused a total of £2,700 to carry out repairs.

"He corresponded with the accused throughout November and December that year. In December 2021, the witness requested a refund from the accused as the work had not been carried out."

The complainer never received a refund and reported the matter to police, who investigated it in February 2022 and later charged Watt.

Defence solicitor Gerry Keenan said Watt, who now works in Shetland, is 'very remorseful for what happened'.

The lawyer said: "He has given an explanation for how this set of circumstances arose.

READ MORE: New trial date set for worker charged with embezzling £80k from Greenock firm

"He accepts that what he did was wrong.

"He is anxious to make restitution so that the complainer is not out of pocket."

Sheriff James Varney told Watt: "You do not appear here as a first offender and it is a substantial amount of money, albeit there is no dishonesty in your record.

"This is a positive [social work background] report which shows clear remorse and demonstrates that this was an isolated incident.

"But in the circumstances it cannot be and will not be condoned and that money needs to go back."

A compensation order was imposed requiring Watt to repay £2,760 within 12 months, while he must also complete 135 hours of unpaid work and will be supervised for the next year.