AMAZON workers say they were ‘kept in the dark’ for two hours about the suspicious package found at the Gourock plant on Friday morning.

An angry employee, who doesn’t want to be named, told the Tele that staff were very unhappy after being allowed to continue working until the end of their shift when there could have been a bomb on the premises.

The worker said employees should have been evacuated immediately the package was discovered around 3.30am — but says they knew nothing about it until their shift finished at 5.30am.

He said: “I was present when the package was discovered and highlighted to management.

“However, police were not notified until 5.15am — and no evacuation took place nor was any of the staff on shift told about the package.

“People only realised something was going on when the shift finished at 5.30am and police began to arrive.

“At no point during this time was anyone warned or evacuated from the building.”

He said that, when they returned the following evening, they were told to stay in the canteen to get a briefing from their general manager.

The worker said: “He informed us that the authorities were not called until over an hour after the discovery as the company was following ‘internal processes’.

“But none of these processes involved the safety of its employees, and the decision was taken to continue to carry on as normal.”

He added: “Understandably, people were extremely upset by this, and when the manager was questioned about the decision, he tried to downplay the seriousness of the incident by replying that we were making a mountain out of a molehill.”

Responding to the comments, Amazon said safety is their top priority.

A spokesman said: “As soon as managers were made aware of an item that was not recognised, correct procedures were followed, including working with different departments to identify the item, before contacting the police who, after investigation, declared it suspicious.”

A major operation was launched by the emergency services, with dozens of police and fire service personnel called to the warehouse.

Bomb disposal experts established that the package was a tracking device.