MORTON relinquished the Renfrewshire Cup at Cappielow this afternoon but only after a spirited display against Premiership St Mirren.

After lifting the trophy for the first time since 2005 following a 4-2 win at St Mirren Park last July, the Ton went on to suffer a somewhat surprising relegation to League One.

The Saints, on the other hand, preserved their position in the top flight with an eighth place finish, extending their staying to nine consecutive seasons.

And so it was with two leagues separating the sides, and new managers installed, that they went into today’s final.

But there was no discernible disparity between the sides in the first 45. In fact, it was Jim Duffy’s promotion hopefuls who looked more likely to break the deadlock in the first half hour.

Captain for the day Andy Barrowman brought out a fine low save from visiting goalkeeper Marian Kello before later clipping the top of the crossbar with a speculative effort.

Stefan McCluskey also went close with a swerving drive which dipped at the last second following a deflection and landed on the roof of the net.

The visitors were not without their chances, though, and began to turn the screw in the final 10 minutes of the first half.

However, they found Ton custodian Nicolas Caraux in unbeatable form. The Frenchman made fine saves to thwart James Marwood and Gregg Wylde and send the sides in level at the break.

Morton were dealt a real blow eight minutes after the restart when the lively McCluskey went down under a robust challenge and suffered a suspected dislocated shoulder.

David McNeil, fresh from signing a new six-month contract, took his place and crafted the opportunity of the game with a burst to the bye-line.

His pull-back found Joe McKee unmarked 10 yards out, but the midfielder’s left-footed drive was superbly stopped by Kello who plunged low to his left.

The game changed from there on in, with the hosts beginning to exert some dominance with spells of controlled possession.

Former Rangers kid Wylde was also coming alive, and it was his run down the left and fizzed cross which found Jason Naismith arriving like an express train on 76 minutes.

The right-back slammed home without breaking stride to reclaim the trophy from the side with which he spent the first half of the 2012/13 season on loan.