In what was the Ton’s first public friendly following victories against Dundee and an African touring team in bounce matches, Jim Duffy selected a side comprising first-team and Under-20 players.

Ross Forbes, who skippered the side, Stefan McCluskey, Thomas O’Ware, Michael Miller, Joe McKee and Grant Adam were the senior pros on show. But it was prolific development squad hitman Orr who fired the Greenock men to victory with a 23-minute treble.

The 18-year-old, who netted 17 goals in 23 starts appearances for the Under-20s last term, demonstrated his poacher’s instinct when he opened the scoring on 11 minutes.

Stefan McCluskey picked up possession 22 yards out on the left-hand side of the box and let fly with a swerving strike.

The flight of the ball deceived BSC goalkeeper Bruno Maltoni, who moved to his right and could only parry out to his left. Orr reacted quickest to follow in and tap home the rebound.

On the quarter hour, the heavens opened and a torrential downpour of monsoon proportions engulfed the stadium. The BSC goal also faced a deluge as Orr attempted to add to his first goal.

He latched onto a piercing McKee through ball on 16 minutes and rounded Maltoni but Callum Home recovered in time and nipped in to prod clear before he could apply the finishing touch.

Sixty seconds later the hitman worked a slick exchange with striker partner Jon Scullion and rifled off a powerful drive right down the throat of Maltoni.

But Orr embarrassed the BSC shot-stopper on 18 minutes by charging down a backpass and forcing the ball into the net as the nervy No1 attempted to sidestep him inside his six-yard box.

Among the Ton youth contingent to start the match was Under-17s left-back Lewis Strapp. The talented Dunoon-born 15-year-old was getting forward to excellent effect.

And it was his precise slide-rule pass that sent Orr racing clear on 34 minutes. Spotting the striker lurking on the shoulder of the last defender, Strapp slipped him in with an inch-perfect through ball.

Maltoni raced from his line far too early but Orr expertly evaded his advance, pushing the ball round him at his right before slotting home from an acute angle with unerring accuracy.

The fact the clubs are separated by three leagues in terms of the Scottish football pyramid had been reflected in the gulf between the sides in the first 40 minutes.

Ton had comfortably dominated the match, with playmaker Forbes influential in the middle of the park as the visitors controlled possession.

But BSC, who included ex-Ton striker Aidan Ferris in their side, were given a jolt of confidence when Ross McKinnon pulled one back with a stunning strike on 42 minutes.

After controlling Home’s downwards header into his path, the left-footed midfielder slammed a thunderous shot beyond Adam’s despairing dive into the top-left corner.

McKinnon played under Duffy at Clyde in addition to spells at Motherwell, Dumbarton, Alloa and Elgin City, and was a standout for the SFA South Region Challenge Cup holders.

Unsurprisingly, it was from his whipped free-kick that Iain King’s men pulled the scoreline back to 3-2 within the first minute of the second half.

McKinnon picked out David Cameron from out on the right, and although Adam did well to parry his header, Chris McDougall followed up to turn home the rebound.

The second half was a more even affair, with Duffy withdrawing five of his first-team regulars and replacing them with development squad players.

Trialist Jai Quitongo — whose father, Jose, also turned out for the Ton and scored against St Mirren in his one appearance in a pre-season friendly in July 2000 — was given the final 16 minutes.

The 17-year-old former Hamilton and Aberdeen man was eager to make an impact and attempted to affect the game from his position wide on the right. There was little in the way of goal-mouth action in the final half-hour, though, as the game took on the feel of a routine pre-season fitness exercise.

That was until an unexpected flurry of activity right at the death saw both sides come close to scoring.

For the Ton, utility man Jordan Cairnie, deployed in the centre of defence here, glanced a Scullion corner narrowly wide.

At the other end, Adam scrambled low to his left to save another McKinnon free-kick before gathering a last-gasp Ricardo Correri strike to ensure Orr’s treble would be enough to secure victory.

Morton (4-4-2): Adam; Tennent, O’Ware (Langan, 63), Cairnie, Strapp; McKee (Stevenson, 50), Miller (Quitongo [Trialist], 74), Forbes © (O’Neil, 63), McCluskey (Tiffoney, 68); Scullion, Orr. Subs not used: Irvine.