SCOTT Tiffoney insists his first senior goal for Morton on Saturday eclipses all the goals he’s scored for the under-20s team — even if it was the most unorthodox of his career.

Tiff netted the second of Morton’s four goals in their 4-1 rout of Brechin City at the weekend. It was his first for Jim Duffy’s first-team and the 19-year-old was thrilled with his maiden strike.

Winger Tiffoney looped the ball over goalkeeper Graeme Smith — whom he praised for keeping the score down — with his KNEE to give Ton the 2-1 lead before half-time and he couldn’t have been more pleased.

He told the Tele: “I was buzzing with the goal. I’ve scored a couple in penalty shootouts and things like that but this was my first in open play for the senior team. It was a good feeling.

“I think it felt a bit extra special scoring for the first team because I’ve scored plenty for the 20s and it was a crucial goal at a crucial time because if we had gone in at half-time at 1-1 it could’ve been a different game. It helped us a lot.

“Things were a lot more relaxed in the changing room after that. I would say it made the game a bit easier for us.”

He added: “I need to confess it went in of my knee over the goalie. A lot of folk thought I had volleyed it but I didn’t. Was it a conventional goal? 

“No, but I’ll take it at the end of the day — it was a bit different from some free-kicks I’m maybe used to scoring for the development team.

Tiffoney was delighted at how often Ton attacked against the Angus outfit and he says the Greenock side had the feeling that they could score every time they went forward.

He said: “We felt like we could score every time we attacked their goal but their keeper has made a good few saves and played well on the day. It could have been double figures!”

Tiffoney was brought off in the second half by manager Jim

Duffy and replaced by Jai Quitongo and treated to a standing ovation from the home supporters. He also then headed to the hospitality suite after the game — but the shy teenager was happy to take a backseat to club chief executive Warren Hawke and sponsors’ man of the match Gary Harkins.

He added: “It’s nice to get a good reception when you’re leaving the pitch but I didn’t think too much about it. 

“I had to go to the hospitality but I just sat behind Warren Hawke and Gary Harkins who were also there — there was no speech from me!”