Port boys 2010 black

Finally kicked off their long awaited new campaign on Sunday against Linwood Rangers, the boys were all excited and it showed as they got stuck in from the start, looked Sharpe, and passed the ball well, securing the first win, next up was drumchapel united star, good side, and pushed our boys to there full potential, with young Connor Gaffney grabbing his first hat rick of the year, last game of the day seen out boys pushed and stretched and not as focused as they had been in the first 2 games, overall a very good Sunday morning.

PGBC 2008

The boys were back home this weekend with a fixture at Parklea v Drumchapel Utd. On a fine morning the boys were up against a strong Drumchapel side who always play good fast flowing football.

After losing an early goal from distance the boys were quickly back on level terms with last week hat trick hero Kieran back on the score sheet right away , after some more bright play from the opposition PGBC were again behind , Leo and Zack were coming under some pressure and along with Euan withstood this stage of the game , soon after Keiran finished off a fine move with another goal. As the half petered out Kieran completed his hat-trick with a fantastic first time finish into the top corner over the advancing Drum keeper.

In the 2nd half Max was at this combative best winning every 50/50 ball,and breaking up all of the Drum forays forward, Sam was now starting to stretch the tiring Drum defence and with Ben supporting down the wing the team kept the play in Drum's half From a corner Cameron who was returning from illness swooped with a fine finish to get PGBC 4-2 ahead , the team were now full of confidence and with Loius putting his head and body in front of every Drum attack the boys neared a result. Keiran had came back on upfront and late on his perseverance paid off when after a fantastic turn and shot in the box he followed up the keeper fine save to scramble the ball over the line.The boys deserve a lot of credit for there attitude and should be proud of all their efforts so far this season.

PGBC 17's 9-4 Lenzie

Port were slow starters in the league tie and early on gave away a cheap free kick about 25 yards out which was converted by Lenzie. Port were caught out again soon after when a ball over the top saw the Lenzie striker run through on goal to make it 2-0. Looking to try get back in the game, Port found themselves with their first real attack of the game and won a corner. Reuben Ballingall sent the corner to the back post and Ryan Phillips cut back was deflected in to the net by the defender. Port were then caught out again and lost a cheap goal. Just before half time Reuben Ballingall went on a run skipping past 3 players before teeing Josh Lafferty up to shoot across the keeper making it 3-2 and giving Port a life line.

Port players got a bit of a talking to at half time and responded straight away. Reuben Ballingall sent a great corner in to the box where Ryan Phillips was on hand to header home and draw Port level. Port continued to press and Jack Anderson was fouled by the keeper to win Port a penalty. Up stepped Josh Lafferty to score his second and put Port in the lead for the first time in the match. Next Ciaran Rodger's corner to the edge of the box saw Scott Marshall put a good ball in, it was half cleared where Josh Lafferty was on hand to round off his hat trick. Port were now playing more like themselves passing and moving about the park. Reuben Ballingall was next to get on the score sheet when he picked up a loose ball in midfield and going on a good run beating 4 Lenzie players before sending a good strike past the keeper. Josh McAuslan went on a run down the right wing and send a ball across the face of the box where Josh Lafferty tapped the ball home for his fourth of the afternoon. Port then had a lapse in concentration and let Lenzie in when the attacker cut in from the right to send a good strike in to the net. Port responded straight away and won a corner, Liam McElwee put a good ball in the box where Ryan Phillips scored with a good header for his second of the day. Josh Lafferty got his fifth and the final goal of the day when Ryan Phillips took the initiative to take a short free kick quickly to Josh down the right and his shot across goal gave the keeper no chance. Referee's Man of the Match - Reuben Ballingall. Sponsors - JD External Building Services, Inverweld and McKinnon Bros Property Maintenance.

Port Glasgow Boys Club are holding a charity event in Port Glasgow golf club, this will be a psychic night with Carol McGee on Fri 13th April, tickets priced at £12 available from club officials or call 07753846465.

Port 2009s

Following postponements due to the bad weather the boys played their second game of the new season at Parklea and were pitched against local rivals East End Utd.

After such a long break over the winter months and a good crowd encouraging both sets of boys from behind the goals, the teams were raring to go and in the tight opening stages both teams played some great football creating a number of chances.The deadlock was broken after a great run and shot by Ewan and shortly before half time Ewan popped up again to net his second goal.

Into the second half and East End really pushed hard to get back into the game forcing the Port Boys to concede an unfortunate own goal. This lifted the spirits of the East End players and they managed to get an equaliser through a fantastically struck free kick.

The Port Boys were now under a lot of pressure requiring Kieran and Lewis at the back to make some great tackles and Jack to be alert in goal to close out any danger. Following some changes to the system the Port Boys started to get more control in the game with Finlay, Dan and Connor working hard to close down space and win the ball for Sean to be unlucky to see a shot come back off the upright and the East End defence bravely blocking a couple of shots off the line.

Both teams were now chasing the third goal and it was the Port Boys who got it following good play up the left and the cross into the box where Kai steered a shot past the keeper.

Time was now running down and Patrick was twice thwarted by some great saves from the East End goalkeeper ensuring there were no more goals to come in the game.

With good individual performances all over the pitch, both sets of players deserve credit for providing a great match.