CHRIS Millar hopes to end his career at Cappielow after triggering a new one-year deal with Morton.

The midfielder has made more than 25 appearances for the Greenock outfit this term, triggering an extention clause — the same one activated by club captain Jim McAlister.

The 35-year-old spent five-and-a-half seasons with Morton at the start of his career between 2003 and 2008, and returned to Sinclair Street last summer after spending a decade with St Johnstone.

Millar admits he doesn’t know when he will hang up his boots yet, and the central midfielder says he wants to keep his focus on his end of season form for the Ton.

He told the Tele: “I’ve triggered the extension in my contract and I’m delighted with that, when the club are ready we’ll sit down and get it done.”

“Whenever they want me to go in and sign it I’ll do that, there’s no negotiations or anything like that. It’s just a case of going in and getting it done and we move on and we can build for next year.

“I’m happy to see out the rest of my days here and it’s basically done, it continues on as it was before and I’m delighted I’ve played that many games this season.

“Don’t get me wrong, I am 35 and I don’t know how many years I’ve got left in me, but it’s one of those ones that I’m local and I enjoy playing for the club.

“As long as I can keep contributing, I’m still playing well and the manager feels that as well then I want to play as long as I can and if that’s with Morton then that’s great.

“But more importantly it’s not about my contract situation. It’s about winning games and finishing the year on a high for me at the moment.”

The Ton were beaten 2-0 by Ross County at the weekend in Dingwall, with Josh Mullin and former Morton striker Brian Graham getting the goals.

The Cappielow outfit went in at the break level with the Staggies and Millar felt his side edged the first half.

But after County scored the opener early in the second period, he admitted it was always going to be a tough task to return from the Highlands with anything.

He added: “It was always going to be difficult going up there, they’re top of the league for a reason.

“In terms of how we played, I felt we played pretty well, we just didn’t create enough chances.

“At half-time we felt we’d played well and we looked the better side. We were the bigger threat and the one time they got in behind us in the second half they got their goal. In this league the first goal is so important. 

“We tried to be more attacking in the second half and that’s something that let us down — our end product.

“After the game we said we need to be a bit more ruthless in both boxes. 

“We came up against one of the best sides in the division and they punished us, and we didn’t punish them enough.”