MORTON groundsman Mark Farrell has admitted it was ‘impossible’ to get Saturday’s game against Alloa on after the poor weather conditions in Greenock last week.

The Ton’s weekend fixture was one of several games called off across Scotland, with only one Championship match taking place.

All postponements were due to waterlogged pitches, with Cappielow taking over five inches of rainwater within the space of a week, the average rainfall expected in an entire month for the area.

A large number of games also being played on the pitch, including Morton and Celtic’s reserve team ties partly contributed towards the call-off.

Farrell, inset, says the key problem at the weekend was down to the constant amount of rain the week leading up to the game, and not the snowfall the night before the game.

Farrell says it is the first time a waterlogged pitch stopped a game taking place during his 14-year tenure as the club’s groundsman.

He told the Tele: “We had five inches of water in a week. We had one dry day which we had a match on it, Celtic had a game, and the rest of the days it’s been pouring down.

“It’s a case of this time of year the pitch gets tired from so many games on and the weather being so foul, and that’s what you see from most of the grass pitches throughout Scotland.

“Cappielow gets a lot of games on it, and with the weather being too bad, the pitch just gave up and it couldn’t take it anymore.

“It wasn’t because of snow, it was just the sheer volume of water. That’s the cause.

“There’s nothing we can do about the amount of rain that has fallen.

“People are frustrated and I’m frustrated with the game being off, but there comes a point when it’s physically impossible to have a match on because of the circumstances leading to it.”

Farrell says he tried his best in the run-up to the game with late nights working on the grass to give it every chance.

He also added additional covers to protect certain areas of the field.

Morton’s staff tried their best to give the pitch as long as possible on Saturday morning, but the Ton’s groundsman insists there was little they could do to thwart the eventual call-off.

He added: “At 8.30am I spoke to Warren [Hawke, Morton’s chief executive] and said it was due to stop raining for around 3pm, which was too late, as the pitch couldn’t take anymore.

“We left it as long as possible before Alloa set off, so the agreement was to look at it again at 10.30am.

“I looked at it again then and then looked at the radars and the forecast, spoke to Warren and said we’d need a pitch inspection.

“We gave the park as long as possible without interfering with Alloa’s plans and the referee turned up.

“It’s not my decision, it’s up to the referee and he’s responsible for the game. I can’t call a match off and it’s his decision and it’s final.

“He didn’t take long to make his decision, I can assure you.”