GREENOCK football ace Luke McCowan is determined to make a push from the Premiership when he finally gets back in to action after lockdown.

The 20-year-old came to prominence over the season just past with Ayr United and the early end to the campaign has only made him all the more eager to continue his development.

The winger was also left frustrated by injury and suspension and wants to step on the gas and follow in the footsteps of his former team-mate Alan Forrest, who impressed to earn a move to Premiership outfit Livingston.

McCowan said: “I feel as if I started off okay, then in November we were playing Queen of The South and I got sent off.

“The worst thing was that after that I had a five week break because of internationals, cup competitions and suspensions.

“During that period I got injured - I pulled my back so I couldn’t train and I had six weeks off.

“As it was my back I was nervous to go running on the pavements and potentially do more damage.

“Between that, managers changing and then this lockdown, although it was my breakthrough year I feel as if I could’ve done more, which has got me hungry for next year.

“Hopefully I can take the place of Alan, who’s just left.

"Last season when I got into the side after Lawrence Shankland had left I thought that was my chance - but Alan had come in and got off to a flyer, so hopefully I can take my chance now.

“The opportunities are there to get into the Premiership if you work hard enough - Alan and Shanks are the perfect example of that.”

One of the highlights of the local lad's campaign was scoring a cracker for the Honest Men at Cappielow against his home town club.

He says it was a special moment for him and his family.

McCowan told the Tele: “It’s the best feeling if I’m being honest, to score against your home town team with your family in the stands.

“To play against the team from where you grew up or grew up supporting and score against them is just that wee bit extra special."

The youngster revealed he could have been in the home side's dressing room, after Ton narrowly missed out on his signature three years ago.

He instead went to Somerset Park with the chance of a longer deal on offer.

He said: “I was playing boys' club football no more than five minutes from Cappielow and we were playing in the semi-finals of the Scottish Cup and Ayr approached me that day, after I’d played probably the game of my life.

“I went down there and had a couple of friendlies in the reserves, and that’s when Morton came in for me.

"Originally I thought to myself 'result, I only stay down the road, I’m sorted'.

“I was only 17 at the time and Morton only offered me a contract over the summer to prove myself, whilst Ayr were wanting to take me as I was there and then.

“I didn’t want to bet on how good I was, so I jumped at the chance of a longer contract and I’ve been there ever since.

"In hindsight it’s been one of the best decisions I’ve made.

“With that goal back in November I think I showed them what they missed out on that the time, but I couldn’t believe it when that shot went in.

"That's why I went mental and celebrated like I did.

“It was a kind of full circle moment for me, especially with my family in the stand.

"They don’t get to see you week-in, week-out, so it was good for them to come and watch and then for me to step up when the team needed it and put one away."