GREENOCK Wanderers' long awaited return to league action ended in defeat as title contenders Lasswade secured the points in style.

The men from Midlothian arrived at Fort Matilda in confident mood after some very impressive pre-season victories against opposition in higher leagues in contrast to Wanderers who only managed to play two of their four planned pre-season friendlies.

After an excellent pre-match lunch from ICE, a large crowd - devoid of rugby for a season - eagerly awaited the contest.

Wanderers were under the cosh from the off and for the first quarter it was all uphill with few visits to the visitors' half by Greenock.

Tackling was the most used skill during this period and notable contributions - mainly by the forwards - was the feature during this period.

Two penalties by stand-off Smith were the only points Lasswade managed during this period.

Matters did not get any better when Greenock's Ryan McCready was given a yellow card for obstructed a Lasswade player's attempted quick penalty.

Young Jack McDaid - in his first game for the senior side having moved up from the under-18s - was impressing with his tackling and one darting run mid first half displayed the threat the youngster offers.

Lasswade continued to dominate and after a some slick handling by backs and forward the number seven, Sam Humphries scored a converted try.

Greenock were getting more share of the ball but were unable to penetrate a strong Lasswade defence.

Matters got worse for Greenock when forward Dale Robertson scored from broken play near the Greenock line.

The last play of the half was from full-back Lucas Orsi who ran some 30 meters to score a try which was converted to make the score 22-0 to Lasswade at half-time.

Greenock had a long way to get back into the match and had their moments, but Lasswade continued to dominate and thwart Greenock's occasional forays into their half despite some rampaging runs by captain Callum Robb and Andrew Love.

In the 57th minute the visitors were taking full advantage of their forward dominance by taking scrums on the Greenock five-meter line.

The referee finally lost patience and awarded a penalty try to Lasswade.

Worse was to follow. After pressure on Greenock 22 prop Roy Mackenzie broke through untouched to score a try which was converted.

Finally Greenock got reward for their perseverance. McFarlane on the wing dashed in near the corner and scored a consolation try converted by Michael Frizzel.

Life does not get any easier for Wanderers as this Saturday they travel to Berwick who are another side looking at promotion this year.

Coaches Grant Sweenie and Les Wilson have plenty to work on at training this week.

l Greenock Wanderers are sponsored by MM Search.