BIRKMYRE RFC continued their winning ways last Saturday with a resounding 52-21 home win over Mid Argyll.

The match was very tight for the first 15 minutes with play ebbing AND flowing both ways. Birkmyre also squandered a couple of good scoring opportunities during these opening phases.

However, on the 18th minute, the home side broke the deadlock. Having won a penalty five metres out, Birkmyre opted for a quick tap and go. The initial phase ended in a ruck close to the try line where the ball was recycled quickly, and stand off David Cruickshank fed in skipper Ross Moglia to score near the corner. Cruickshank narrowly missed the extra points conversion.

From then on, Birkmyre began to get on top of the match with the lion’s share of possession. On the 26th minute, Birkmyre went through attacking phases into the opposition 22 with good forward play. They then unleashed the backs and Cammy Marr crashed through from ten metres out to double the score. This time Cruickshank converted from just inside the five-metre line.

Greenock Telegraph:

On the 29th minute, Mid Argyll were reduced to 14 players with a yellow card for a deliberate knock-on which disrupted a potential scoring opportunity. The penalty resulted in a tap and go which was passed to Birkmyre lock Owen Nicholas who broke a couple of tackles to power home from seven metres out. Cruickshank converted.

From the kick off, Birkmyre scored again. They collected the kick off and the ball was popped to player of the match Thomas McKeown ten metres inside his own half. He saw a gap down the wing and stretched his legs to run 60 metres to score under the posts for another converted try.

Just before the half, Birkmyre made it 40-0. Mid Argyll were forced into a goal line drop out. This was recovered by Birkmyre on the ten-metre line. Forwards and back combined until Moglia broke free. As he was tackled, he popped a pass out of the back of his hand to winger Ross McDonnell, who ran in unopposed to score under the posts.

Greenock Telegraph:

With the game won, Birkmyre seemed to take their foot off the gas a little early in the second half, and within three minutes of the restart, Mid Argyll had the first of their tries which was converted. Some solid forward play saw them rumble over to score.

Fifteen minutes in, Birkmyre got one back. Ali Peacock made a breakaway 25 metres out but was tacked inches short of the line. Birkmyre successfully retained the ball and prop forward Mark Allison was able to score from short distance for another converted try.

From the restart, the score was extended even further. Recovering the kick, the forwards drove the ball towards the halfway line. Moglia again then broke free and fed in Michael McGeogh, who skipped down the line and round under the posts for the home side's penultimate score.

On the 62nd minute, the visitors got one back, capitalising on a five-metre penalty. Birkmyre replied on the 70th minute when substitute Quinn Murphy scored in the corner. Birkmyre’s Alex McKay then had a score chopped off for a very tight forward pass.

Mid Argyll scored a consolation try under the posts in the final minute, but it was too little too late. Birkmyre remain top of West League 3 on 36 points, closely followed by Irvine on 33.

Birkmyre Tries:- Quinn Murphy, Ross Moglia, Cammy Marr, Mark Allison, Owen Nicholas, Ross McDonnell, Thomas McKeown, Michael McGeogh. Conversions:- David Cruickshank (6)