WITH Greenock Wanderers' 1st XV having no game at the weekend it was the turn of the 2nd XV to show the selectors what they could to improve their first team chances.

They were facing Galloway, an amalgam of Stewartry, Annan and Moffat, who'd played six matches and won them all, lying just above Wanderers in the league table.

It was clear this was going to be a good test for the home side.

It was Wanderers who were first to throw down a marker by scoring from the kick-off with a try from Ciaran Hutchison, followed up with another through their backs with a good run to score by Lee Houston.

This got the 1st XV players who were on the touchline in support after taking part in a Movember charity run roaring their reserves on.

Galloway finally came to life after their long journey and a spell of pressure from them was well defended by Wanderers, however their line was finally breached in the 30th minute through their forwards to make the score 12 -7.

Shortly afterward home scrum half Knox was yellow carded for a repeat offence.

Just on half-time Hutchison added to his account with a further score making it 19-7.

It was Wanderers who were first on the scoreboard in the second through a solo run by winger Lewis McKenzie, putting them 24-7 up.

Galloway were becoming more threatening but the Wanderers defence kept them out until the 20th minute of the half when their backs passed out to their winger who was left with an easy run in for a try to close the gap to 24-14.

The visitors kept up the pressure and were rewarded with two further tries in the 29th and 34th minutes to take the lead for the first time 24-26.

A flurry of substitutions for Wanderers could not stop the onslaught and a further score for Galloway in the 36th minute took the game away from Wanderers 24-33.

The visitors were not finished however and another try through the backs just before full-time made it 24-38.

Knox scored a consolation try to make the final score 29-38.

Greenock Telegraph:

Wanderers will be disappointed that they allowed the game to get away from them having control certainly in the first half.

If they had only pressed when they were on top they could have had the game wrapped up by the break, but let the visitors back into the match and they took their chances to win comfortably.

Elsewhere, the Ladies scheduled match v West was cancelled due to a frozen pitch. The U16 boys had a superb 69-0 victory over Wigton and the U13s recorded a convincing win over Kilmarnock.