A cricket match between Greenock and Renfrew was abruptly abandoned when Renfrew's players walked off due to a disputed umpiring decision.

The unexpected turn of events took place at King George V Park.

The game’s start was delayed after it was brought to everyone's attention that the match umpire, only one having been appointed, was a no-show.

The teams decided to gear up and umpire the match themselves, which later proved to inflame the situation.

Renfrew had the initial advantage after winning the toss and electing to bowl first.

This decision bore fruit when Shailesh Prabhu was caught behind off the last ball of the second over for just two runs.

However, batsman Connor Nowlan gradually picked up the pace, assisted by teammate Aryan Sanghera.

They racked up a total of 32 before Sanghera was bowled out by Renfrew’s professional, Rahman.

Angus Tolhurst took up the bat alongside Nowlan and together advanced their team’s position.

Nowlan had a standout performance, occasionally sending Rahman's balls over the boundary for sixes, and he succeeded in hitting a half-century in the tenth over.

Shortly after reaching a partnership of 44 runs, Tolhurst was dismissed.

But this didn't hold back Nowlan, who continued his onslaught on the opposing team’s bowlers.

By the 17th over, Greenock’s total had rushed to 107 runs.

The fuse for the consequent upset was lit in the eighteenth over, when Nowlan nudged the ball for a quick single run.

Cammy Calder, Renfrew's wicketkeeper, broke the stumps from the resulting throw-in and there was an appeal for a run-out but the ad-hoc Greenock umpire ruled in favour of Nowlan, deeming that the ball wasn’t held properly in the gloves when the stumps were broken.

The appeal was refused causing the Renfrew fielders to react with disbelief.

Following a harsh exchange of words, their captain led them off the field.

Their decision to stay off meant the match was abandoned, leaving Nowlan undefeated on 76, an innings which comprised 58 balls and included 7 fours and 5 sixes.

This left the crowd guessing how high his score could have reached.

The match's abrupt end is now pending investigation from the WDCU authorities, with Greenock waiting for their decision.

Despite the unprecedented scenes, however, Greenock’s 2nd XI, the Glenpark XI, enjoyed an impressive win over Milngavie 2nd XI by six wickets.

The teams' triumph came about in large part due to the formidable batting performance of Vishal Yadav, who hit an impressive 86, and Zabiullah Dilsoz who contributed 38 runs to their victory - which was achieved in a mere 23 overs.