MORTON created a gulf at the top of the Betfred League Cup Group H with an accomplished 2-0 win away at Kilmarnock this afternoon.

It was a victory that moved the Ton on to eight points at the section's summit, five clear of both second-placed Albion Rovers and the Rugby Park side.

On the field, the theme of the competition for the Cappielow club thus far has been the impact made by a crop of youth products.

Development squad members Lewis Strapp, Scott Tiffoney, and Dylan Stevenson have all played starring roles in the opening fixtures against Albion Rovers and Clyde.

And it was Jai Quitongo who took centre stage earlier today, scoring and registering an assist as he picked up the sponsors’ man of the match for a blistering attacking performance.

In what was his first senior start, the 18-year-old was paired up top with Gary Oliver, and the duo combined to fire the Ton in front after seven minutes as the visitors made a superb start.

Receiving a zipped pass with his back to goal, Quitongo cushioned the ball round the corner for partner Oliver breaking beyond him to the right.

The former Queen of the South man feigned to shoot then checked inside onto his left and placed a measured finish in off the right-hand post.

Ton comfortably suppressed Killie as the hosts threw a barrage of set-pieces at their Championship opponents.

Ricki Lamie in particular was a pillar of strength as Jim Duffy’s men repelled a series of corners, free-kicks and Josh Magennis long throws.

In actual fact, it took until the 36th minute for the Ayrshire outfit to manage their first – and only – effort on target, Magennis firing off a snapshot that Andy McNeil dropped to block.

The encounter continued in a similar vein for the most part, with the Ton comfortably containing their top-flight opponents.

Quitongo’s pace was always a threat on the counter-attack, and he showed strength and a speed to burst clear down the right before arrowing in on goal on 67 minutes.

Slowing to pick his spot, the teenager slotted a cool finish under goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald from a tight angle to net his first senior goal and leave Lee Clark’s uninspired side with no way back.

Morton (4-4-2): McNeil; Doyle, Kilday ©, Lamie, Russell; Forbes, O’Ware, Tidser, McAleer; Oliver, Quitongo.

Subs used: Tiffoney (for McAleer, 75), McDonagh (for Quitongo, 89), and Scullion (for Oliver, 90+2).

Subs not used: Stevenson, Tennent, Strapp, Gaston (gk).

Booked: Doyle (1), Tidser (52), Quitongo (65).

Kilmarnock (4-4-1-1): MacDonald; Webb, Addison ©, Burn, Taylor; Magennis, Waddington (Dicker, 55), Smith, Jones; Kiltie (Frizzell, 90); Boyd (Coulibaly, 55).

Subs not used: Smith, Boyle, McFadzean, Davies (gk).

Booked: Taylor (61), Addison (72).

Attendance: 3,020 Referee: Steven McLean