GREENOCK stormed through to the last 16 of the West of Scotland Cup with this five-goal demolition of Yoker.

The Scottish Cup quarter-finalists had no answer to Greenock’s relentless attacks, while the Ravenscraig men’s defence comfortably repelled whatever came their way.

An early goal always helps to settle the nerves, and it came in Greenock’s first attack, with barely a minute on the clock.

A neat passing interchange set up Craig Brown just inside the Yoker box, and the striker steered a low drive past keeper Craig Winslow and into the net.

A mere five minutes later it was 2-0, thanks to a catastrophic blunder by Winslow as he made a hash of an attempted clearance, giving Kenny Munro the simplest of tasks to round the stranded keeper and slot home.

It was 16 minutes before Yoker managed a shot at goal, with Greg Maitland’s effort parried away by home keeper Ryan McWilliams.

But on a surface which bore up remarkably well given the week’s heavy rainfall, Greenock were playing with great verve and enthusiasm, urging each other on.

They deservedly went 3-0 up after 26 minutes, though again visiting keeper Winslow was at fault, as his personal nightmare continued.

A free-kick was whipped into the Yoker box by Ryan Craig, but Winslow could only flap at it under pressure from Ryan Begley, and the ball went straight to Brown who prodded it into the net for his second goal of the game.

Tam McQuilkin was making his starting debut for Greenock after his recent signing, but he was perhaps fortunate not to be booked for a bad tackle just before half-time.

Referee David Munro opted to keep his cards in his pocket, a policy one of the SFA’s rising stars managed to adhere to until the 88th minute booking of Brendan Gillan for a reckless challenge.

Meanwhile, Greenock increased their advantage to four, when they scored again six minutes into the second half.

It was route one stuff, with a long kick-out from McWilliams brilliantly flicked on by Brown into the path of Munro, who flighted a neat chip over the head of Winslow and into the net for a clinically executed strike.

With the tie now well and truly over, Greenock relaxed a bit, allowing Yoker a few forays in attack.

Substitute Reece Pearson sent over a cross which found centre-forward David Crerard in the clear, but his glancing header went wide.

Then on 73 minutes a corner kick fell to Gary Bissland, but the sub’s goal-bound header was tipped onto the post by Greenock keeper McWilliams.

At the other end Begley came close with a couple of headers, and it was Greenock who had the last say, as they went 5-0 up in the closing stages.

Sub Allan Docherty’s pass created space for Munro on the left wing, and Docherty then raced into the box to meet the low cross from Munro and side-foot the ball home for another well-worked goal which put the cap on a fine Greenock performance.

The result augurs well for Greenock’s imminent league fixture against Yoker, also at Ravenscraig, but first they will again be in cup action, with a home tie in the Central League Cup against Kilsyth Rangers this weekend.

Manager Martin Campbell said: “That has to go down as one of the best performances of our season so far.

“We have worked hard on a lot of that stuff at training, and today it all came together, with some excellent goals.

“We brought in one or two players who haven’t had that much game time lately, but they certainly staked a claim to be involved in our forthcoming matches.” Greenock: McWilliams, Orr (Murray 68), Cunning (Gillan 74), McLaughlin, McGarrigle, Begley, McQuilkin, T. Docherty, Brown (A. Docherty 80), Craig, Munro. Sub not used: JP Dow.

Greenock Juniors are sponsored by SAVEHEAT, and the Lighthouse Bar.